In addition to higher housing costs & income taxes, California property taxes soak you
- Your bill is rate TIMES value
- You don’t get more usability with higher value
- Don’t expect that to ever go down in California
By Hal DeKeyser
Here’s what kills you when it comes to California property taxes.
The difference in the property tax rates between California and Nevada are not that great. In fact, California is slightly less on average (at this writing). The problem is that the rate is only half the equation. To get the total property tax bill, you multiple the rate times the value.
The formula is RATE (about the same) X VALUE (2.5 to 5 times greater in California) = tax bite. (R X V = T).
So if the tax rate is about the same and the value is 2 1/2 times more, your property tax bill is going to be two and a half times higher. And you’re not getting more space or luxury for that price – just higher costs and higher taxes.
Lies politicians tell you
Politicians often pat themselves on the back by telling you that they “held the line” on the tax rate. But it’s what your California property taxes will cost you in their entirely that truly should be what matters to you. That’s what affects your pocketbook, your ability to buy a home, your ability to invest in your future.
The same goes for businesses.
If you have a business in California, you’re not only paying all these higher costs and taxes, you’re doing so in a regulatory environment that makes success exponentially more difficult. California charges you more and makes you jump through time-consuming, frustrating flaming hoops.
So if you’ve had enough of high California property taxes – not to mention all those other taxes and costs, like housing — join the DumpCal movement and come to Las Vegas. You won’t be the first leaving California to do so.
Vegas home prices jump 14% from last DecemberWhere can you get the biggest house for the dollar?Vegas rated high for a vacation rental investmentLas Vegas jobs growth fuels climbing housing valuesLas Vegas 2018 housing predictions: More homes, higher costs, more newcomersVegas will be best 2018 housing market – ReportLas Vegas master-planned communities
See the entire DumpCal blog series
- 10-plus reasons to Dump California for Vegas
- DumpCal Reason 1 — California housing costs are 2½-5 times Vegas’
- DumpCal Reason 2 — California income taxes are U.S. highest; Nevada, the lowest (as in NO state tax)
- DumpCal Reason 3: — California property taxes are 2½-5 times higher
- DumpCal Reason 5 – Vegas things to do are easier, cheaper, and plentiful
- DumpCal Reason 6 – Republican tax bill will cost Californians more in income taxes
- DumpCal Reason 7 – Las Vegas airport: convenient, flies everywhere, has best deals
- DumpCal Reason 8 – Leaving Las Vegas: easy trips to Cal, Arizona and Utah
- DumpCal Reason 9 – The Las Vegas economy is healthy and growing
- DumpCal Reason 10 – California regulation is killing businesses
- DumpCal Reason 11 — Leaving California – disasters – earthquakes, fires, mudslides …